Saturday, May 17, 2014

Incubation Begins


Been saving Orpington eggs all week to start my first batch in the new incubator. I've read and retread the instructions, read everything I could find online,  and prepared the best I could for my first attempt. Saying all that, I have gone into this with 2 mistakes already; one, I did not collect the eggs from the henhouse washing my hands first (which seems to be an important step for removing oils from your skin), and two, I stored the eggs at room temp at 70 not the 55 degrees recommended. I may have sabotaged my entire trial, but I don't have anything to stored eggs at that temp. 

Even with mistakes, I am going forward with this because I had at least 6 fresh eggs from today in the batch. My first candling should tell me if I stand a chance. Will let you know how this goes. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment